On July 21, 2016, Tompkins Cortland Community College President Carl E. Haynes, Ph.D., announced his plan to retire from the College in 2017 after 23 years of service as president and 48 years of service to the College in various roles. This announcement also served as the formal announcement of a search for a new president at the College – a process the Board of Trustees had undertaken some four years earlier, but was not public knowledge.
The intention of the Board is to complete the search in time for the College’s new president to be in place by mid-July 2017. Working backward from that date, the Board has established the following schedule:
- Dec. 2016 to Jan. 2017: Advertise position
- Jan. and Feb. 2017: Review resumes and hold preliminary interviews with qualified candidates.
- March to early April 2017: Invite three to four finalists to campus for intensive interviews.
- May 2017: Present a final candidate to the SUNY Board of Trustees for approval.
The Board of Trustees selected a search firm in late September: Diversified Search is the largest woman-owned executive search organization in the country and has a wealth of experience in searches for business, not-for-profit, and educational institutions.
The College has completed voting and selected a search committee.
Search Committee Members
Chair: Elizabeth Burns, Chair, Board of Trustees
- Vice Chair: Scott Ochs, Professor and Department Chair, Criminal Justice
- Roxann Buck, Trustee
- Chad Coates, Trustee
- Ray Schlather, Vice Chair, Board of Trustees
- Bruce Tytler, Trustee
- Brian Ackley, Director of Technology Support
- Susan Dewey, Director of Budget and Finance
- LaSonya Griggs, Director of Financial Aid
- Sheila Abbey, Secretary, Alumni and Development, External Relations
- Rhonda Kowalski, Concurrent Enrollment Coordinator, CollegeNow
- Kori Post, Principal Account Clerk, Budget and Finance
- Tom LiVigne, Foundation Board Representative
- Danielle Bethoney, Professor and Department Chair, Mathematics
- David Flaten, Professor, History
- Kim Sharpe, Professor and Department Chair, Nursing
- Fred Farah, Adjunct Instructor
- Naseem Fielder, Student Representative
- Erin Smith, Student Representative
Ex-Officio, non-voting members:
- John Conners, Provost and Vice President of the College
- Cathy Northrop, Assistant to the President and Clerk of the Board
- Johanna Duncan-Poitier, SUNY Sr. Vice Chancellor for Community Colleges and the Education Pipeline
- Jennifer Miller, SUNY Director of Community College Support
The College will share updates regarding the search process throughout the timeline.
- campus_visits, Feb. 22, 2017
- interview_schedule, Feb. 22, 2017
- finalists announced, Feb. 20, 2017
- search update, Feb. 17, 2017
- search update, Feb. 2, 2017
- search update, Jan. 20, 2017
- search update, Dec. 2, 2016
- search update, Nov. 11, 2016
- search update, Oct. 28, 2016
- position description, Oct. 21, 2016
- search update, Oct. 4, 2016
- search update, Oct. 3 , 2016
- search process, Sept. 11, 2016
- search process, Aug. 26, 2016
- memo to colleagues search process, Jul. 27, 2016
- Board chair letter to college community, Jul. 25, 2016
- memo attachment to Board letter of intent, Jul. 21, 2016